WHAT WE TREAT – Ankle & Foot
Many people suffer from a multitude of foot- and ankle-related injuries and problems caused by trauma, repetitive overuse syndromes, improper shoe wear, and lack of appropriate foot and ankle support.
Ankle & Foot Therapy: How It Works
Physical therapy can be helpful by identifying the problem and looking for other related causes. This allows the therapist to treat the causes while decreasing pain, and restoring your function. Gait analysis can be performed to ensure that the cause is not coming from other joints such as the knee, hip or even from your low back. The main goals of ankle & foot therapy are:
- Decrease acute or chronic inflammation and pain using conservative techniques such as pulsed ultrasound, cold laser therapy and paraffin.
- Improve muscle strength and flexibility and reduce gait abnormalities.
- Provide education on preventive measures to avoid recurrent problems.
- Problem solve with patients and families on reduction of pain and impairments during rehabilitation.
- Provide a user-friendly and comprehensive home exercise program for use both during and after therapy.
- Provide regular and consistent feedback to referring physician.
- Seek custom orthotic intervention when appropriate with physician’s approval.
Our physical therapists at Manalapan Spine & Physical Therapy Center will always start by asking you questions designed to help figure out the scope of the problem, everything from your lifestyle to medical history. If your ankle & foot pain was caused by major trauma or disease, your physical therapist will consult with your doctor.
Ankle & Foot Therapy: Your Personalized Plan
Our next step is to create a treatment plan to help relieve your ankle & foot pain. In addition to giving you exercises to improve your flexibility, strength, and stability, other options include:
- Application of ice or heat
- Electrical stimulation of muscle groups
- Ultrasound and cold laser therapy
- Myofascial release and Massage therapy
Most physical therapy sessions last about an hour, although the time can vary. The total number of sessions will depend on the particular circumstances of your ankle & foot pain. Some patients need only a few sessions, while others may require months of therapy.
Ankle & Foot Therapy: Education and Exercise
Many times conservative care through physical therapy can prevent surgery especially for ligament tears. Post operatively, physical therapy can decrease pain, improve biomechanics and guide you to return to activity. At Manalapan Spine & Physical Therapy Center, the latest and best evidence-based techniques and treatments are utilized to restore flexibility, joint mobility, strength, and balance, getting you effectively and efficiently back to function.
Following the right physical therapy should not only enable you to feel better faster, but also stay pain-free following your recovery. Call Manalapan Spine & Physical Therapy Center today if you experience any of the following conditions:
- Ankle Sprain / Strain
- Achilles Tendonitis
- Shin Splints
- Ankle Instability
- Tarsal Tunnel Syndrome
- Plantar Fasciitis